Hairdresser - Give your Mobile Hairdressing Insurance a "Health Check"

Hairdresser - Give your Mobile Hairdressing Insurance a "Health Check"

From our experience, when you don't have a fixed location for your salon, it can be unclear precisely what cover you need.

Fortunately, that's our speciality. Read on to find out more about insurance, especially for mobile beauty businesses.

Public Liability Insurance

Through your career, you will likely have been asked to produce a copy of your liability policy, especially if you have ever rented a chair in a salon or worked on commercial premises.

Public Liability cover provides financial support if someone were to make a claim of damage or injury against you.

This cover does not apply to injuries caused by treatments you have carried out. That is covered by Treatment Risk insurance which we'll go over later.

Public Liability insurance covers you for accidents such as slips, trips and falls.

Leave your handbag sticking out, and a client cracks their knee? Public Liability.

Spill hair dye on a client's brand-new carpet during a home appointment? Public Liability.

Cat choked to death on one of your hairpins? Not Public Liability... nor is that your fault. Don't let them tell you it is!


Top Tip: A specialist Mobile Hairdressing Insurance policy will usually cover:

  • Public Liability
  • Products Liability
  • Treatment Risk

all as standard.

Treatment Risk Insurance

Treatment risk cover is pretty much how it sounds.

If a client suffers an injury from a treatment you have carried out, they could make a claim. If this were to happen, you'd be glad to have Treatment Risk Cover in place.

For example, you could receive a claim from a client saying that they experienced an allergic reaction even though you did all the necessary patch tests. They're now looking for compensation.

It's an age-old story, but having that security in place in case a claim comes in can save your business if things turn nasty.

Make sure you keep your broker up to date with the types of work you are doing.

For example, if you have cover for hair treatments but expand to nails and beauty, you'll need to tell your insurers before your first treatment.

Products Liability Insurance

Products Liability Insurance covers you if anyone is injured by, or suffers property damage from a product that you have either:

  • Manufactured
  • Supplied
  • Designed

In terms of hairdressing, this will apply to hair products which you have sold (or provided free of charge) to customers.

You may think that the manufacturer or supplier would be responsible. While this is true, if they can be not be traced or the product originates from outside the EU, the claim could still fall at your feet.

TOP TIP: It's not only shampoo and similar products which present a risk. Items that have been bought cheaply from abroad represent a significant risk as claims are more likely to be directed against you. This is because if the manufacturer can't be traced, the liability falls on you.


Employers Liability Insurance

If you have any employees, no matter how casual or infrequent, you are required by law to purchase Employers Liability cover, this will indemnity you should an employee be injured during or as a result of their employment.

For instance, if an employee were to be carrying a large bag of equipment up to a client's flat and fall down the stairs, as the accident happened as part of your business activities, you could be considered liable.

If you employ any minors, it's essential that you make sure you have the correct permits in place from your local authorities as your cover could be voided if you do not.

Tools, Equipment, Stock / Goods in Transit

Whether you operate from home or completely mobile, you should consider covering your equipment; it's surprising how much it would cost should you need to replace it all in one go.

If you hold any stock, make sure this is also protected.

TOP TIP: If you leave equipment in your car overnight, check your policy documents to make sure that it doesn't carry a restriction or exclusion on overnight theft cover.

Car or Van Insurance

If your car or van is used in connection with your work, it's essential that you have the correct level of business use noted on your motor insurance.

A standard car insurance policy will not cover you for visiting clients or any other journey undertaken in relation to your business.

TOP TIP: Minimise loss of earnings and keep yourself mobile following an accident by making sure your policy includes the facility of a courtesy vehicle and that it is large enough to carry all your equipment.


Personal Accident and Sickness

Your hands are quite literally the main tool of your trade.

If you are injured or fall ill, either job related or through another activity such as sport, you may not be able to work.

Unsurprisingly, this will directly impact your income.

A Personal Accident and sickness policy will provide a lump sum payment for permanent illness or injuries (such as a loss of limb) and a weekly benefit payment for temporary incidents (for example a broken arm or leg).

Home Office / Premises

If you own premises, then you will need to cover contents, stock and any fixtures and fittings etc. Specialist Home Business policies are available covering legal liabilities, stock and business equipment in one simple package.

If you are a completely mobile business, you may have a home office for carrying out paperwork or the dreaded bookkeeping!

TOP TIP: Most home insurance policies can be extended to cover business equipment, often free of charge, but it is essential that you inform your insurers.

If you have more extensive requirements or a storage unit, then a home business policy may be more suitable to cover stock and business items.

If you have questions about your existing business policy, please call your broker for advice.

If you are thinking of starting your own Mobile Beauty and Hair Business you can request a quote here from one of our team!